SHAPE THE FUTURE OF MOBILITY FROM DAY ONE.
This position is part of our Advanced Safety and User Experience segment located in Troy MI.
Summary (About this Position):
The Customer Chief Engineer owns the engineering backlog, milestones and feature roll-out plan of all programs / projects of a specific customer and / or of a specific product type.
The Customer Chief Engineer ensures proper planning and execution of those customer programs / projects (EOS flow 4), closely aligned with the overall product platform strategy, and in accordance with the milestones and deliverables as agreed within the customer contract. He / she supports ADP, POC and quote activities (EOS flow 2, 3), for instance by reviewing and approving product concepts, effort estimates and the like. He / she further supports the resolution of quality and post engineering escalations (EOS flow 5).
The Customer Chief Engineer is the primary contact to the customer within the engineering organization. He / she provides input with regards to customer roadmaps and new business opportunities into the larger Aptiv organization and he / she builds and maintains a sustainable long-term relationship with his / her engineering counterparts within the customer's organization.
The Customer Chief Engineer ensures that the development activities comply with the PDP. He / she is the engineering representative within program / project gate reviews. He / she creates and maintains the program / project organizations together with the PMO and is the primary contact towards the PMO for his / her customer.
- With regards to the programs / projects of a specific customer and / or a specific product type:
- Own the engineering budgets.
- Consolidate budget plans / forecasts and support budget reporting and profitability analysis activities towards various internal stakeholders. Drive budget improvement initiatives. Approve program / project related expenses.
- Own the engineering timings.
- Align the high-level dependencies between the customer programs / projects of his / her customer and other programs / projects within the larger organization. Create and execute staffing ramp-up and ramp-down plans.
- Own the engineering delivery quality.
- Ensure that the program / project teams follow common engineering processes, guidelines and engineering best practices.
- Own the BOM cost structures.
- Ensure that the BOM cost structures are regularly reviewed and that BOM cost structure improvements are properly planned and executed.
- Collaborate with Cost Center Owners, Domain Owners and Component Owners in a matrix organization and provide input within the product line and towards the transversal organizations with regards to the high-level work scopes, including budget, milestone and quality targets.
- Align with the product platforms in order to identify reusability opportunities.
- Provide feedback on competency and skill gaps to the respective stakeholders within the line and domain organization. Provide staff performance ratings to the line organization and participate in staff development discussions.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring to program / project team members.
- Care for good company image and its property by demonstrating excellent attitudes towards internal and external customers.
Must Haves (i.e. Basic Qualifications):
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or similar.
- Minimum 10+ years of product development experience of software intensive products within the Automotive domain.
- Excellent people skills including the ability to motivate and to lead according to the concept of servant leadership.
- Excellent knowledge in a broad spectrum of automotive electronics related technology areas, including understanding the latest technology trends and current industry standards.
- Excellent knowledge of automotive electronics design principles and design processes.
- Good system knowledge of automotive products.
- Excellent knowledge of agile development methodologies such as Scrum.
- Very good communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-driven personality.
- Ability to work in complex matrix organizations for the benefit of the team.
- Ability to lead geographically distributed and culturally diverse teams.
- Excellent understanding of US automotive OEMs way of working and way of doing business, preferably acquired in the past through a similar customer focused role.
Nice to Haves (i.e. Preferred Qualifications):
- MS, Diploma or greater in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or similar.
- PMP Certification
Aptiv Rewards and Advantages:
- Competitive compensation with bonus potential
- Competitive health benefits
- 401K with matching contribution
- Learning and development opportunities
- Recognition for innovation and excellence
- Meaningful work that makes a difference in the world
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
About Advanced Safety & User Experience:
Advanced Safety & User Experience encompasses our deep expertise in centralized computing platforms, advanced safety systems and automated driving, while acknowledging the growth in areas that enrich the in-vehicle experience.
Some see differences. We see perspectives that make us stronger.
Diversity and Inclusion are sources of innovation and creativity, both of which are essential to Aptiv's success. Everyday our diverse team comes together, drives innovation, pursues solutions, and meets challenges using their unique abilities, perspectives and talents, changing what tomorrow brings. When you join our team, you'll get encouraged to think boldly, express your viewpoint and innovate as a matter of habit.
Some see technology. We see a way to make connections.
At Aptiv, we don't just see the world differently; we work to change reality. That means developing technology that rewrites the rules of what's possible in the pursuit of making transportation safer, greener and more connected. Today there are more than 180,000 of us globally, located in 44 countries, and united by one mission. Join the movement and together, let's change tomorrow.
Privacy Notice - Active Candidates:
Aptiv is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.